Monday, September 13, 2010

We Made It, Contrary to Popular Belief


Our flight arrived in Rome on September 10th around 11am and since then I've been waiting to connect with the outside world in any way, shape, or form. The internet on this street (Via Nomentana) has been down due to user error involving a backhoe. Everything so far has been both overwhelming and spectacular. It was incredible to be on the way here from the airport and to look up and realize, "Oh, there's the Colosseum." It seems like everywhere you turn there's an historical building or monument or fountain or something. It's not at all like being in DC where each thing like that has its own sort of space. The Washington Monument is off by itself and sticks out from its surroundings. The other day our site director gave us a sheet of things to take pictures of and my group was looking around for some random thing. We got lost on a back alley and suddenly came to the Pantheon. It was just in the middle of a confluence of a bunch of back streets! But I've seen so many things that most people only get to read about and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to come. I've only been here a few days and I feel like I've seen so much, so I can't even imagine what the next 87 days are going to be like.


See more pictures from these few days here:

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic from your window. Sure could get used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't gotten used to it. It's gorgeous looking at the sunset over the city every night.

    ReplyDelete