Friday, September 24, 2010

Pompeii


Today we went on our first class trip outside the city of Rome, heading to Naples and then finally stopping in Pompeii. I must say, I was very much looking forward to this trip and it didn't disappoint at all. It was actually better than I expected it to be. I got plenty of time to walk around by myself, chat with a myriad of Englishmen about football, see all of the sites I had wanted to see (including the amphitheater where Pink Floyd had played years before), practice using my Italian to manage to get back in after I had wandered outside, etc. Being in the amphitheater by myself at one point was magnificent and probably my favorite part was the completeness and perfect preservation of the Villa of the Mysteries. The fresco in there was great. What made it better than I expected was the landscape that totally surrounded the area. Obviously I knew of Vesuvius, but the mountain range that rises up 360 degrees around the city was utterly majestic (and watching the rain clouds tumble over them was a treat) and the view of those same mountains fading off into the water at the horizon was simply gorgeous. I couldn't help but think, though, that one day those sort of mudmen, those who died and remained at Pompeii could be us at any point. It put the day in perspective.

I did put the pictures from this trip into a new album and they can all be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment