Friday, November 26, 2010

Venice and AS Roma




I mentioned in my last post that going Hungary and the Czech Republic propelled me into my weekend in Venice. It most certainly did and I'm glad now that I was on a little bit of an upswing heading into it, because it was honestly incredible. I expected there to be a few alleyways that looked like the Venice everyone knows, gondolas and canals and all of that, but it was all that way. The two parts I liked most, though, were the fact that there weren't any cars to clutter up the streets and that the town was virtually empty. Being able to walk around, take pictures, "shop," and do all of the tourtisty things without constantly avoiding a painful death by automobile was so nice and the fact that you could sit down in a square, and despite there being a few people around during the day, it was actually still peaceful. There were times, though, in the early evening and sometimes in the middle of the afternoon where I'd suddenly realize that there was no one else around. I literally couldn't see anyone else and it felt like Venice was just for me.

Caleb, Sofia and I decided to skip going to the tourist traps/stupid islands and walk around together taking pictures. We started with the pretense that it was a contest, but in the end it was just neat to see the city with two people that have an eye for art or at least for photo-ops.
Looks like I-Spy, doesn't it?


My dad noted it in a recent e-mail and I've probably said it a few times here and there, but I've really enjoyed the opportunity to develop skills in photography. These skills are most likely only a product of the locations I've been visiting, but I digress. I've just loved seeing things from the camera's eye and trying to make some sort of art. I guess you could say that since I enjoy writing so much, am looking forward to my drawing class next semester, am interested in taking up painting, and sort of try to play guitar that I'm an "artsy" person. I was particularly proud of a picture I took in Venice, so I thought I'd share that before I move ahead with talking about the soccer game:




And about that game - it was probably the best thing our group has done together. Walking in was a bit tense due to the fact that we were mistaken for Germans. In a hostile environment that's never a good thing, is it? The entire experience aside from that was bombastic. First of all, it was great to go out and do something so culturally significantly to the people we've lived around the last 2 and 1/2 months. Also, most people know how much I've fallen in love with the beautiful game over the past few years and to see it in person and be immersed in the atmosphere and everything, it was beyond description. It doesn't hurt that we went to a fantastic game. Bayern Munich is a great team and seeing even their second team was a privilege. As for Roma, I don't know too many of their players, but the way they battled back from 2-0 down at halftime was incredible. My favorite thing about it was being right in with the Italians and being forced to feel all of the emotions they were going through. When Bayern scored to make it 2-0 there was no escaping the disappointment. The goal in the 49 minute brought some hope back and the 81st minute's equalizer was such a triumphant moment. We all stood and pleaded for a penalty to be awarded in the 84th minute and when it was and was converted the stands whipped into a frenzy. Each time Roma got close to scoring the guy next to me grabbed my arm and the arm of the person on the other side of him and shook it. When they did score I was instantly high fived and wrapped in a giant hug. I guess overall it's just one of those things you have to do for yourself to understand.

I loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment