Sunday, November 7, 2010

A No Travel Weekend

This weekend I stayed in Rome, just watching movies with everyone, missing home, and generally being lazy. It was a good break from my rather hectic semester thus far. I've had a lot of time to think and a few people have heard a lot about my feelings toward them or other things and I've found it to be wholly productive. I hope and trust that it will continue to produce results.

I haven't gotten to doing much work, but other than my final project I'm not all that worried about getting stuff done. I've actually enjoyed school this semester. I know, I know. You all are probably checking to make sure you're on the right blog, making certain Mike Trn is still writing this. Well, he is, and he really is enjoying learning about things. Enough third person, though, and on to why I've liked it. I'm getting to know the places I'm in. It's neat being able to talk about a painting or building in class and then going to see it. Also, my papers have allowed me to be creative. For the first time since I've been in college I feel like I've got the leeway to write the sort of papers I want to.

Furthermore, I sat down and wrote a poem tonight. It took me a bit longer than normal to do, at about 10 minutes, but I don't mind how it turned out (hence posting it). Here's a glimpse into my mind and my mood throughout the entire weekend:

Helical our downward plane,
a fall vivace indeed.
With mouths agape the hopeful sit,
too vain to intervene.

Swollen to the collar,
faux champions build their lies.
But when the woe comes crashing through
realized is their guise.

There are no heroes in our mirrors,
we are ashamed at what we see.
There is no brilliance here,
no fearless repartee.

Scrofulous, tainted, baleful creatures
cannot bear to see drops fall from their own eyes.
And the world will stay forever fallen, forever broken,
unless humanity to itself become apprised.

Sunken into grudging ways,
self-sacrifice fell to malevolent spite.
"I must be the best there is,"
echoed through cities of encyclical plight.

Still in decline, still in denial,
smiles spread on faces daft.
Envy is the edge that ends carnassial,
idiocy the measured haft.

No comments:

Post a Comment