Saturday, November 20, 2010

Budapest and Prague

Last weekend I made the pilgrimmage to the homeland: Slovakia/Czech Republic as well as to Budapest, Hungary. Unexpectedly fantastic weather greeted me as I stepped off the plane in Hungary and persisted throughout. I was grossly unprepared on the kit front, but this time that was welcome. It felt like changing from summer into autumn and the light breeze and moist sensation (although not accompanied by much actual rain) prevaded.

I also stepped off the plane completely unprepared for Hungary. I literally didn't know a single word of Hungarian and my general knowledge about the country was close to nil. I did know about its connection with Communism and to a certain extent it still felt as such. I wasn't oppressed and the people weren't anything but helpful and nice, but there was this transitional feeling. It was so neat. There was great patriotism and pride in country and a movement toward betterment that I quite enjoyed. Also, the place was gorgeous. I went on a walking tour and while learning about the history of the city and gazing upon its Communist-era drabness, I got some fantastic vantage points and was able to see pre- and post-Communist Budapest - significantly less drab, almost to the point of being utterly fantastic.



It is certainly somewhere I'd love to go to again and would like to give more time to. I spent literally no time in Slovakia, merely stepping off the train to say I'd been there. What I was able to see from the train was spectacular and I also look forward to making it back there one day.

Prague obviously also had to endure Communism, but there wasn't the same sense of its lingering. The more modern city, Prague offered more sights to see, a product of its movement ahead and desire to build outside of the bounds of Communist architecture. The river was great as was the weather and despite being surrounded by throngs of tourists at nearly every turn, I was able to find some peaceful parks to sit down and enjoy the scenery. My favorite part of my time there came in one such park when I pushed through some bushes to a tree stump perfectly positioned for overlooking the city and the river winding through its heart. With the wonders of Europe starting to wear thin and home calling, it was relaxing (in all senses of the word) and calming to ponder whilst looking out over the capital of where my family came from. It made me at least feel connected to them, which I thankfully will be shortly enough.



All-in-all, Prague was beautiful and felt so central to discovering my roots. The entire trip was great and propelled me into the short week before the trip to Venice.

Pictures from Hungary can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=300507&id=658221001&l=c3b30d83a9
and Prague is here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=300513&id=658221001&l=086a831772

No comments:

Post a Comment