Monday, November 1, 2010

Cardiff, Wales



^
Just wanted to let you know, that was the view from my hostel window. Amazing? Yes.

This is the last post regarding my fall break adventures, which is a good thing, I think. I've felt like maybe over the last couple of months I've overwhelmed some people with all of my wonderful stories and fairy tales to the point of apathy.

Well, there aren't any fanciful and/or uplifting journal entries this time, although I did have a marvelous time. Cardiff is a really great city that I'd recommend to anyone going to Europe. The people spoke English for the most part, which was still a very welcome feeling even after having been to London for a few days, it was relatively clean, the weather was probably uncharacteristically fantastic - it was about 60 degrees and sunny with a little breeze, you know, those perfect fall days, it was inexpensive, smaller and navigable on foot, friendly, and... just Wales. It really felt like home.

I know I mentioned it in a journal specifically for Katie and to my parents on the phone, but it felt like a bigger, more modern version of Beaver Falls. It was formed around a river, built largely around the steel and coal industries, and surrounded by modest hills. Katie and I have talked about living in Cardiff after college, because she has an opportunity for a position there and because we dream of living in Wales. It all seems like it's coming together, I suppose. I know I'd live there for a couple of years right out of college. It was just charming. Maybe this is a fairy tale after all?

The main reason I didn't get to write a longer and more public journal was because I didn't have much time to spend in the city and I wanted to get a really good feel for it so I could report back to Katie my feelings on it as our potential home. Also, I wanted to get the most of my last few hours in Wales. We've been over how much I enjoy it there by now, I'd say. I did write a poem, though, the first night I was in Machynlleth that I wasn't too sure about posting until now. I might as well include it to satisfy anyone that really likes reading things I post and those who might not so much, but haven't quit reading this post yet.

21/10/10

Stepping out firmly
into the cold November air
I thought her tears might crystallize
falling from her somber emerald eyes.
The softening tremble in her gaze
matched the hardening of my heart.
And the kicking wind biting at my soul
spread my occupied fingers, let me know it was time to go.
As her finger slipped and left
and her back turned, too difficult to watch,
I felt her fragile, repaired heart break in two,
but in her mind she knew it was what I had to do.

I stood with head down waiting for my feet to move
and saw her glance back, eyes red and wet with sudden sobbing.
Her whimper called and I responded when I could
that I'd be home, she wasn't all alone, and this wasn't for good.
She understood, I'm sure, but I felt as bad
and miss her all the lonely while.
To comfort, "I'll return to you, cariad, at any cost.
It's said that love is true and not all wanderers are lost."

The door slammed shut tight, but the window opened
as I searched for her face in the rearview mirror.
I knew right then that despite my endeavor
her and I would last like this Earth I search, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment