Sunday, October 3, 2010

Switzerland/France

Bonjour! I've returned from my trip to Switzerland (and France snuck in there as well) much more enlightened as to how this whole European tour is going to work and the wonders that are in store. Getting through the airports wasn't as difficult as I'd feared. In fact, the only troubles I had were initially finding my hostel (until I worked up the courage to ask a Swiss girl in French if she spoke English, which she did! She was very nice and walked me all the way to the hostel while we talked about PITTSBURGH PENGUINS HOCKEY of all things!), understanding the routing of the buses and knowing where to catch the buses I needed, and money. Since this was my first trip I wasn't so sure of how the money would work other places. One issue was that instead of using euros they used Swiss francs. More pressing, however, was that fact that everything was massively expensive. I went to McDonald's one night because I thought (correctly) that it'd be the cheapest place in town to eat. I ordered off of the l'petit menu, getting two cheeseburgers, a snack wrap, and a small tea. It ended up costing me the equivalent of $12. The guy in front of me spent $41 for dinner...at McDonald's! Also, the tour I went on on Saturday was a pretty penny, but more than worth it.

One of the best things I did was take a cable car to the top of Mont Saleve. It was a wonderful view over the city and lake, but was also affordable, took me into France (on foot no less!) and allowed me to experience a bit of small town Swiss/French culture, which was quite lovely. Stopping in at the mom and pop grocery to buy a tea was "cute" as the girls like to say. I didn't have much time up there (I got there around 5 and the last cable car down was at 6), but once at the top, not only did I have that view of Geneva, but after walking through some fields...well, I'll copy the entry I wrote in my journal:

Today was my first day in a completely foreign country completely alone. I'm happy to report it went rather well. Aside from issues getting to the hostel last night and initial confusion regarding the bus system I've gotten around fairly competently in a French-speaking area. Similarly comforting is the fact that if I'm having trouble almost everyone can speak a helpful amount of English. I essentially wandered from noon until around three, just stopping anywhere that looked or felt interesting, walking along the lake, traversing a number of parks, and getting lost a bit. After that all wore thin I looked for a #8 bus (which proved to be quite difficult), because I had a destination in mind. Following a lengthy bus ride I walked across the border into France. I could see where I wanted to go, but getting there took a bit of effort (and walking along a freeway for a time). Eventually, I came to Telepherique Saleve. The slope of the cable car track was massive and somewhat frightening, if I'm honest. I walked in and bought a reduced price ticket (maybe school does pay?). To my disappointment I was told that the last return journey was in only an hour. Ears popping, I snapped plenty of pictures of Geneve and the ever-nearing mountainside. I felt like Saleve was gigantic and couldn't believe I was atop it looking out over Geneve, Lac Leman, and what I took to be the most stunning, biggest, and most imposing mountains ever. Both because of the altitude and the view's beauty my breath was taken away. Some other people were eating at an outdoor cafe below the overlook I had perched myself on and still more, a couple hand-in-hand, began walking down a path to a different overlook. I thought to follow them down that way to get a different angle for my shots of the lake. Gazing beyond the pair, an open field with wildflowers came into view. I was struck by its beauty, surpassed the lovers, and knelt down to take in the aroma of the clearing's seemingly paramount gifts and to take close-up stills of them. I got the amount of pictures I'd wanted and stood to head back to the cable car, not wanting to stray far in the rural and unfamiliar treasure trove. Out of the corner of my eye then, something white showed itself. I turned to my right and was nearly knocked off my feet by what I'd almost overlooked completely. Spread out before me, the Alps opened their snow-covered arms inviting me nearer. Glancing at my phone I noticed I only had 20 more minutes if I didn't want to be stuck on a mountain for the night. I took off across the field, tearing by picnic tables and barbecue pits. I came to another clearing where even more of the peaks had given up trying to stay hidden. I grinned, used my trigger finger on camera button, and felt high as the mountains I stared in wonder and amazement at. I meandered down through some trampled brush to get yet another angle for jealousy-makers when another path appeared. Feeling that I might be able to get beyond the trees I ran through the forest, not even taking a step as I slid with loose rocks down a comparably tiny, but still rather large hill into another field. I noticed an electric fence on a hill that grew ahead of me and wondered what might be held there. Curiously, I approached the fence and spotted a few horses grazing. The scene was idyllic and utterly relaxing with flicking tails, the occasional bellow, and a valley spreading out behind them as far as I could see. Peering to my right once more I noticed the mountains had grown and become more numerous. Intrigued, I followed the outside of the fence until I came to a road marked by a hairpin corner. I walked down the road and instead of rounding the corner, went straight, ducking under a barbed wire fence whose purpose I never discovered. After pushing aside a few pine branches another clearing appeared and this is when I saw the roof of Europe.

About that tour then, yeah? I took a very touristy bus day trip from Geneva to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France and actually went atop the mountains that had so enamored me the day before. I basically can't even describe what I saw so pictures will have to do. Sorry.

Pictures from my Geneva/Chamonix-Mont-Blanc experience can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment